Sunday, May 12, 2013

Blog 24: Exit Interview Questions


Content:  

(1) What is your essential question?  What is the best answer to your question and why?
My essential question is " What is the best way to treat skin cancer in adults?". The answers to my essential question are proper diagnosis for treatment, excellent follow-up care, and preventative education via high school curriculum. The best answer to my essential question is preventative education through high school curriculum because if we can educate our youth to be mindful of the sun's damage, they will practice precautionary measures to avoid skin cancer. Thus, the number of people that acquire skin cancer will eventually be lowered. A study done by the University of California, Irvine medical students reinforces this answer because of the survey results they achieved.  A total of 3 surveys were given to students in grades 6-12; one before a presentation given about skin cancer, one immediately after the presentation, and the final survey given 3 months after. The results showed that the presentation left lasting effects on the students about skin cancer and how critical it is to protect yourself. 

(2) What process did you take to arrive at this answer?
To arrive at my best answer,  I did an analysis of each of my answers. To get to my first answer, I first read research articles that taught me about skin cancer and the treatment options that are available to treat this disease, such as 'What are Basal and Squamous Cell Carcinomas?" by the American Cancer Society and a lecture given by Dr. Trisal. Next, with every medical procedure that it done, it is important for the physician to follow-up with the patient to make sure there are no recurrences of cancer and for the overall health of the patient. Finally, it is important to practice sun-safety by putting sunscreen with an SPF of 50 with protection for both UVA/UVB, wearing a hat, seeking shade, etc. Considering the fact that most skin cancers occur within the later stages of life due to a prolonged period of time of being out in the sun or having the exposure to UVA/UVB, it is important for youth to be aware of methods that protect them from the sun. After analyzing each of my answers, I selected preventative education via high school curriculum because even though proper diagnosis and excellent follow-up care are good ways to treat skin cancer, some of the characteristics of each could result in the patient having a poor quality of life, so by practicing sun-safety methods, you will avoid skin cancer and end up having a good quality of life.

(3) What problems did you face?  How did you resolve them?
The first problem that I faced was trying to find mentorship during the summer, especially considering that I wanted to do something in the medical field. Since hospitals begin accepting volunteers in early April until early June, I felt that I was late in the ballgame, so to say. Nevertheless, I went to countless hospitals, such as Pomona Valley Hospital, San Dimas Community Hospital, Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, and  East Valley Hospital/Medical Center, until Kaiser Permanente in Baldwin Park accepted me as a volunteer. The second issue that arose during the course of the senior project was a sudden topic change in the middle of second semester. When talking to Dr. Lee for my fourth interview, she told me that my topic was too general. Dr. Lee advised to me change  to change my topic to either skin cancer or thyroid cancer. Since I felt most comfortable with skin cancer, I decided to stick with this topic for the remainder of the senior project. Thus, I had to attain more research about my topic to fully educate myself about skin cancer and prevention methods.

(4) What are the two most significant sources you used to answer your essential question and why?
My first significant source was my first independent component, where I had the opportunity to observe the physician practice the Mohs procedure to remove either basal or squamous cell carcinoma, two of the most common types of skin cancer. This was my very first experience with skin cancer, even if my topic wasn't centered around that in the first place, which led me to experience the treatment that is used and the follow-up that the patient receives. My second significant source is the National Cancer Institute's webpage about skin cancer. This webpage has helped me tremendously by educating me about the different types of skin cancer, how cancer is staged, the treatment options, as well as the follow-up care that the patient should be receiving. 

(5) What is your product and why?
My product is learning how to work in a team, especially if I plan to work in the hospital setting later in the future. For my mentorship and my first independent component, I was able to observe how close the relationship is between the physicians and the nurses, as well as with the other staff working in the HNS department.  It is very important to have a professional, friendly demeanor with your fellow co-workers because they are the ones who are going to help you, especially during the procedures! Being a student at I-poly has really emphasized this skill for me, where for 3 years, you have to learn how to work in a team in order to fulfill the goal, and learn how to communicate with people to meet the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment