Saturday, May 18, 2013

Blog 25: Mentorship

Content:
    Literal
·     Mentorship Log
·     Odette Van Der Eb, (626) 815-6063

Interpretive
 What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why? 
  • The most important thing that I have gained from this experience is gaining  an insight into the medical field, especially from the perspective of a specialty department.Commencing the senior project, I knew I wanted to do something that pertained to the medical field, and the experience garnered only wants me to pursue my passion of actually being in the medical field. From this experience, I been associated with the materials commonly found in a hospital, such as gauzes, CHUX, various needles, and bacitracin ointment. I have also seen the interactions among the various staff members that have shown me that you are only as good as your team, which is an important skill to have for future references. I have learned how to communicate with doctors, nurses, and other pertinent staff members, and know that a professional and friendly demeanor is essential.  I dedicated the amount of hours I did for service learning not because I wanted to get so many hours, but because I truly enjoy being in the hospital setting and interacting with patients, doctors, nurses, and other staff members. 
Applied 
How has what you’ve done helped you to answer your EQ?  Please explain.
  •  This experience has helped me answer my essential question , "What is the best way to treat skin cancer in adults?" because I had the opportunity to observe skin cancer very candidly, and the treatment process that is most commonly used for basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma.Through this experience, I was able to attain my first answer, which is proper diagnosis for best treatment. When practicing the Mohs procedure, the physician would extract some of the cancerous tissue and present it to the pathologist, who would then see if the doctor removed all of the cancerous tissue, or if he/she needed to get more. This process is vital because it ensures that the physician remove all the cancer. while leaving healthy tissue intact. I was also able to get my second answer, excellent follow-up care, through this experience because when the doctor schedules the a follow-up visit for the patient, the primary reason is to check for the recurrence of cancer. 





No comments:

Post a Comment